25 Tips for Calming the Skin
Is your skin acting up? One day it seems fine and the next it's irritated? Then, take a read through our 25 tips to soothe and calm the skin for a happier and healthier appearance.
1. Switch up your cleanser: Stay clear of cleansers and facial wipes that contain aggressive, skin-drying alcohol. Instead, use soothing and nourishing cleansers that balance the skin for a clearer and more radiant appearance.
2. Back to the basics: When suffering from problem skin it can be tempting to counteract the issue with whatever you have at hand - exhausting all options. However, this can be counterproductive. Using cleansers that deliver moisture and containing the least amount of actives are best at this point until the skin restores its balance once more.
3. Get your zzz's in: Quality of sleep is essential for healthy-looking skin. Skin cells are repaired and regenerated at twice the speed when we get insufficient sleep. Improved levels of sleep also lower our stress levels.
4. Fatty acid-enriched food supplements: Essential fatty acids possess potent anti-inflammatory properties that can help to balance the hormone levels. A must-have for all those that are prone to skin impurities, hormonal acne, eczema, and the like.
5. Write a skin journal: Make a note of the products being used on the skin, what you're eating on a daily basis, how much physical activity you're getting in and any skin changes that are occurring. This with allow you to identify a pattern - perhaps the skin imbalance is due to a specific meal being consumed or products being used.
6. Don't be afraid to exfoliate: A gentle skin peel on the regular supports the renewal of skin cells and buffs away dead skin cells to reveal skin that is healthy-looking and fresh.
7. Give it time: The skin needs time to get used to new product formulas. As long as the products aren't causing irritation, it will take about 2 to 4 weeks to notice a difference in the appearance of the skin. If no changes are visible once the time has lapsed, it might be wise to try something new.
8. Skip synthetics: Common synthetic ingredients, such as phenoxyethanol, can by the culprits behind sensitivity and skin concerns such as eczema and contact dermatitis.
9. ... be wary of skin-irritating natural substances too: Natural ingredients in high concentrations may lead to skin irritations too, such as an overload of essential oils.
10. Change the bedcovers: Pillowcases, in particular, should be changed on a regular basis. This minimises the risk of breakouts because the skin is exposed to fewer bacteria at night.
11. Breathe: Efficient stress management is a very handy tool for keeping sensitive skin under control. Try performing a few relaxation techniques, mindful breathing, yoga or meditation - or simply go for a brisk walk outdoors, it helps.
12. Regular face massages: Face massages help with lymphatic drainage and contribute to increased luminosity and firmness. Do not apply too much pressure when massaging the face.
13. Clean your mobile phone and make-up brushes: Bacteria or deposits that accumulate on the surface of mobile telephones and make-up brushes could be the reason for breakouts. Clean mobile phones and make-up tools on a regular basis.
14. Do not skip on moisturising: Even oily skin types can become dry. Use a light, fast-absorbing moisturising cream on a regular basis. The skin will find its balance over time.
15. Avoid refined sugar and diary: Evidence have been found that there is a link between skin problems, such as acne, and the consumption of refined sugar and dairy. Start a skincare journal to keep track of your skin concerns and try to avoid these food triggers.
16. Find your pH balance: Allover skin health relies on maintaining the balance of the skin's sensitive acid mantel. Thus, avoid products that may disturb the balance.
17. Stay hydrated: The body, and thus the skin, can only work at its full capacity when optimally hydrated. It is recommended to consume at leave 1.5 litres of water daily.
18. Take care of yourself: Do something once a day that makes you happy - it does not matter what that "something" might be - a relaxing bath, a walk in nature or watching a movie. The only thing that counts, it that you enjoy it.
- For all skin types
- Normalising properties
In stock4.8 (6)-15%
Akamuti Organic Virgin Shea Butter40 g, 160 g, 500 g
£8.18 - £12.28
- Ideal for dry skin
- Ideal for baby's bottom
- Highly moisturising
In stock4.5 (473)Special offer
- With a delicious chocolate aroma
- Ideal for skin dried by the weather
- Repairs & regenerates the skin
In stock4.3 (154)-10%
- Suitable for straight hair
- Does not cause static
- Length: 18 cm
In stock4.5 (63)-10%